President's Report to the AGM - December 4, 2019
ANOTHER VERY SUCCESSFUL AND ENJOYABLE YEAR FOR EDMONTON PICKLEBALL CLUB!
In 2019, we have continued to enjoy tremendous growth in membership. In our first year at our new Edmonton Pickleball Club Courts at Royal Gardens, our membership grew from 275 to 480 members. In our second year in our new Courts at Royal Gardens, we grew from 480 members to 706 members and now we are just getting started. Pickleball in Edmonton has truly taken hold!
Thanks to our many engaged volunteers, we have been able to accomplish many things in 2019.
OUR WEEKLY COURTS SCHEDULES HAVE TAKEN SHAPE WITH THE FOLLOWING ENHANCEMENTS:
● Implemented a 7 day per week court schedule at Royal Gardens and a 3 day per week schedule at Jasper Park Community League.
● Implemented Track It Hub Ladder Play for 3.0, 3.5, 4.0
● Inaugurated spectacular Trophies for 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 Track It Hub Ladders which will be awarded annually into perpetuity
● Continued Inter Club Play for 3.0 and for 3.5
● Piloted League Play for 3.5
● Inaugurated 65+ play, Family Play, selected 3.0 All Ages Play
● Inaugurated Weekend Play for all ratings
● Piloted 3.5 Women’s Level Up Sessions
● Weekly Orientation to Pickleball Sessions
● The requirement for a 3.5 Club Rating or Tournament Rating for all 3.5 members in addition to the previously established requirement that all 4.0 members have a 4.0 Club Rating or Tournament Rating
● A very successful Referee Development Program
Planned and Hosted
● Battle of the Paddle sanctioned tournament with more than 220 participants
● Ron Strank Annual Charity Members Only Fun Tournament
● Fall Social Celebration that raised $1907.50 donated to the Zebra Child Protection Centre. An anonymous EPC member matched that donation with another $1907.50 for this very worthy cause of child protection. The celebration also raised in excess of $400 for the Salvation Army Christmas Kettle Campaign.
EPC WORKED WITH THE CITY OF EDMONTON TO SECURE ADDITIONAL SITES FOR OUTDOOR PICKLEBALL.
With an additional outdoor site available to our membership, we can realise the following:
EPC HAS CONTINUED THROUGH 2019 TO MAKE OUR CLUB “STAND ALONE” AND SELF-SUSTAINING BY MAKING SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENTS TO OUR CLUB INFRASTRUCTURE
PRIORITY FOR 2020
Pickleball Club is a registered non-profit organization in Alberta.